If you research Online Shopping trends, you'll discover there is a Boom taking place!
Take a look at a few facts from "BigCommerce.com":
- 51% of Americans prefer to shop online
- 96% of Americans have made an online purchase in their life, 80% in the past month alone
- Ecommerce is growing 23% year-over-year, yet 46% of American small businesses do not have a website
- Online orders increase 8.9% in Q3 2016, but average order value (AOV) increased only 0.2% — indicating that transactional growth is outpacing total revenue
Ecommerce trends by generation
- 67% of Millennials and 56% of Gen Xers prefer to shop on online rather than in-store.
- 41% of Baby Boomers and 28% of Seniors will click to purchase.
- Millennials and Gen Xers spend nearly 50% as much time shopping online each week (six hours) than their older counterparts (four hours).
- 48% of millennials have shopped on marketplaces, 76% at large retailer sites, 46% on webstores or independent boutiques, and 29% at category-specific online stores.
- 56% of Gen Xers have shopped on marketplaces, 76% at large retailer sites, 49% on webstores or independent boutiques, and 37% at category-specific online stores.
- 59% of Baby Boomers have shopped on marketplaces, 74% at large retailer sites, 42% on webstores or independent boutiques, and 39% at category-specific online stores.
- 51% of Seniors have shopped on marketplaces, 66% at large retailer sites, 30% on webstores or independent boutiques, and 44% at category-specific online stores.
- Millennials and Gen Xers spend 6 hours per week shopping online
- Baby Boomers spend 4 per week shopping online.
- Seniors spend 2.5 hours per week shopping online.
But when you're selling online, how do you know
- what to sell and
- who is looking for your products or services?
Demographics plays a huge part in targeting your market. Find out what people want, then provide that, at a reasonable cost, and "Cha-Ching!" You've got a sale!
So, do your homework!
(In this electronic era, with digital products, your market can include the entire globe! You can deliver music, books, magazines, software, videos, all digitally, without shipping costs!)
I recommend you find an e-commerce site that offers the flexibility of "incdividual-selection" of the products & services that you choose for your designated, targeted market.
- One such website allows you to browse thousands of products and services, and select only the ones you want …for the particular demographic you are targeting.
- You can create a collection of one or hundreds, or even thousands of products;
- for whatever category or collection you want to promote;
- or for whatever group, (or even person), you want to target!
The e-commerce website that I use, offers this very tool…
- allowing the selection of as many, or as few products,
- naming my selection(s) as my 'Product Collection,' and
- providing a URL link for the Collection. That link is my "store," and I have 5 of them at the time.
- But I can add more Collections, delete the ones I no longer want, and add, or delete the products that are in the Collections that I've created!
The ability to create a Jewelry Store, and an Electronics Store, then a Home & Garden Store, move 'inventory' in and out of these online-stores, create more, etc., is the ultimate experience for the Online Seller!
Tap into the Online Sales Boom of the mid-21st Century! Find a way to create your strong future!